From one of our honorary runners-up, Lucas Bucton, has created this Mai Tai variant that takes tea and makes it a unique flavour in the drink.
This is what Lucas from Jimmy's Bar in Ed.Square Town Centre and Glass Half Full Bartending, had to say about his absolute sparkler of a creation:
"The Origin Tea Sneaky Peach Iced Tea Syrup works perfectly with the orgeat and rum to give it a different aspect of sweetness without pushing it over the edge and making it too sweet. Two delicious rums give this drink a perfect boozy level, while an extra measure of strong black tea helps to lengthen the drink and emphasise the tea base. A great drink overall that is able to stand alone from the original Mai Tai all while maintaining its roots from the classic tiki drink."
Mai Tea Recipe
- 30mL Appleton Estate Signature Rum
- 30mL Flor de Caña 7 Year Rum
- 30mL lime juice
- 7.5mL orgeat syrup
- 22.5mL Origin Tea Sneaky Peach Iced Tea Syrup
- 15mL black tea
- 7.5mL Grand Marnier
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- Peach slice fan
- Flower (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a shaker with a small scoop of crushed ice
- Whip shake until most of the ice inside the tin has melted
- Fill a glass about 2/3 full with crushed ice and dump the cocktail in
- Top up the rest of the glass with more crushed ice
- Throw a few dashes of Angostura bitters over the ice
- Garnish with mint and a peach slice fan, flower is optional
- Sip and enjoy!